Automotive power applications are constantly evolving and improving. Slimming the vehicle body is one of the ways to reduce power consumption. By utilizing the available technology, getting more miles out of a given amount of energy is possible. Vehicles and transport carriers use many innovative technologies, concepts, and materials. The relatively high costs hindered the developing and implementation of advanced materials and production technologies. Potential novel materials applications have an enormous scope, but the focus is on two issues:
- The development of nanotechnology-based materials for batteries
- The development and application of new lightweight materials for vehicles.
We have already discussed the role of different materials in reducing the body weight of automobiles in Automobiles Body weight Reduction. The scope and technical content of innovative automotive electrochemical applications based on Nanotechnology is:
Ford is planning to produce large-capacity Lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles. Ford believes that Li-Ion rechargeable batteries are an excellent option for PHEVs, as they have a 50% weight reduction and a 30% volume reduction.
- High level of application compatibility
- SOC Well-resolved
- Research on High Energy Focuses on Historic
- Reasonable power-to-energy ratio design flexibility
- Choose from a wide range of electrode materials
- Cost potential over the long term
Lithium Ion Technology is still one of the methods most car manufacturers agree is satisfactory for long-distance EV usage. The need for energy and power density improvements, cost reductions, and safety enhancements is increasing. The developmental projects shall solely address the development of innovative materials and technologies for battery components, material architectures, and systems for automotive electrochemical storage at the cell level within a responsible, sustainable, and environmental-friendly approach looking at the entire life cycle. Modeling and simulation are used to determine the effect of battery properties on a cell at a nanoscale. Focus is placed on new technologies, architectures, and chemistries that address issues such as:
- Performance, safety, recyclability, and cost
- Fast charging is possible without a significant reduction in battery life.
- Bi-directional flow effect at charging stations
- Other materials available
- Eco-design: the impact of material production on the environment
- Characterization, standardization, and synergies between different applications.
The manufacturing industry is encouraged to participate in solid consortia and provide proof of concept for products or processes.
Many events on automobile power applications are held worldwide, and industry members strive to make a breakthrough.
Ticona Materials Innovations For Fuel / Hybrid Systems showcased its innovative automotive power systems at ITB Automotive Energy Storage Systems 2012. Ticona, a leading supplier of engineering plastics, showcased its innovative automotive power solutions at ITB Automotive Energy Storage Systems 2012. These included ESD polymers for fuel/hybrid systems, hybrid Powertrain Systems Solutions, battery separator films, power distribution, and materials that can reduce system weight, offset battery mass and improve packaging.
Transportation energy storage systems from A123 are lithium-ion solutions for increased performance and efficiency in electric and hybrid vehicles. A123’s knowledge of electric drivetrain technologies enables it to work closely with customers to commercialize new vehicle concepts. Comparing A123’s automotive-class lithium-ion batteries to other battery chemistries delivers durability, reliability, and high power density. It also offers superior abuse tolerance, excellent safety performance, and higher usable energy because of its expansive state of charge range.
These energy solutions will have the following impact:
- Energy densities exceeding 400 Wh/kg in comparison to the current state of the art
- Performance, safety, recyclability, and sustainability throughout the life cycle
- Minimum 3000 cycles of life in an 80% DoD in normal automotive conditions for ten years
- Maintaining a world-class position in the European automotive batteries industry.
Energy storage solutions that will revolutionize the energy market have yet to be available in full on the market. The energy storage industry is booming, with investments that are beyond imagination. There is much room and scope on the market for components and other technical support that falls in the manufacturing process of automotive energy solutions.